Getting married is one of the most important events in a couple’s life. Legal conditions for getting and being married as well as getting divorced are regulated in the German Civil Code (Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch). However, the following aspects should be taken in consideration:
- What happens with the sole assets of a spouse or with the joint assets of a couple when getting divorced?
- Does it make sense to buy a house or an apartment together or separately and which fiscal effects is it going to have?
- Is a spouse liable for the other spouse’s debts?
- How does German law regulate spousal support?
- How does a divorce affect custody of the joint children?
- What happens when one of the spouses passes away?
The answers to these questions can be different in every case. However, a couple has the possibility to deviate from the legal provisions. The notary drafts a marriage contract considering the ideas and wishes of the couple. The notary helps if a couple wants to adopt a child. A notarial contract helps splitting the assets and reduces the costs of a divorce.
Download form transfer certificate»
Download form for transfers to spouses »